Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Stubborn as a mule!

I come from a long line of stubborn people.
My father is definitely stubborn.  And although we have never met, I'm sure his father and grandfather were too.
All but one of my sisters and I are stubborn.
And my oldest sister is so stubborn, she won't even admit it!

This topic recently came up at a family get together, and, of course, we couldn't come to an agreement. Some of us said that it's a common trait of German people, while my older sister opposed.
So... we googled it.
And sure enough, it was listed as one of the stereotypical characteristics of Germans.

But I'll take one for the team. I'll accept the honor of being the most stubborn of us Haffners.




See, I embrace it. Not only is it my biggest weakness, but it is also my greatest strength.  Whenever my boyfriend tells me that I am stubborn, I tell him that it's determination!

And to prove this to him and all of you, I would like to share a story.  See, I essentially skipped 6th grade when I was first sick, and I returned in 7th grade. There were a handful of times that I was absent. Perhaps, I was sick and not feeling well. Or perhaps, I was milking it and not wanting to take a test. But my mother always gave in. So anyhows, in preparing for high school in 8th grade, we all had to meet with our guidance counselors.  She had nothing but good things to say about my grades, but can you believe she was very critical about my school attendance.  I couldn't believe her!

Well four years later, I'll have something to show her... This is my award that I got my senior year of high school. It reads...
Perfect Attendance 4 years.

Yes, that's determination!  Or so I think it is :o)

So... being stubborn/determined isn't that bad of a thing, right?
Right?
I'm right, right?
I am.
No, you're wrong.
Yuh-huh.
Lass mich in ruhe :o)

Embrace it! I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't been so stubborn.

lots of love... little lisa lollipop






Embracing my German roots.
Hofbräuhaus
Munich, Germany

Prost & Zum Wohl!
Contiki girls in Germany 1999


12 comments:

  1. you're absolutely right, being stubborn or obstinate makes you go very far, and being a great warrior and do not waver stronger to those who are next to you. one urra why I love you a thousand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa I hope you enjoy writing this as much as we enjoy reading it. I saw your determanation first hand the day you refussed to lose to Bobby (your fellow ostio worrier) at ping pong. Hope you are feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhhh. We weren't supposed to tell anyone that i was playing ping pong while on the clock :o)

      Delete
    2. I told my nephews all about the perfect attendance. I have one nephew is striving for the same honor. And another nephew who went home the other day because his body felt like he was just going to collapse. Do you believe the nurse sent him home?! He goes to the nurse all the time. Miraculously he had cold stone ice cream that day for my daughters birthday at 6 that same day!

      Keep up the stubborness!! I am too and so is my son, it makes you stronger! Love you Lisa,
      Rach

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures, love your determination. Keep on fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bet is that Karin is the unstubborn one! My favorite story of your determination is your demands that the zip line folks make it work so that you could zip line safely...it can't be done was not an acceptable answer! And what a fun day that was :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, not sure if you remember me, but you oriented me on the weekends at CHOP about 3 years ago. I just wanted you to know that I am sending you lots of love and prayers. You truly are an inspiration to us all. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I remember you. I'll never forget the Shermanator! :o)

      Delete
  6. Sometimes our character can be good or bad for some people; but in the ends it can be a weapon for us to fight versus all our weaknesses.
    What a better example you gave us; definetely always is something new we have to learn from you. "You are a warrior"
    My best wishes for your Lisa; I keep you in my mind always with your beautiful smile. My prayers are with you guys!
    Love Aurora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Aurora. Muy amable. Me acuerdo bien del día que me enseñaste varios groserías y dichos como pompas. Lol. :o)

      Delete
  7. I love that you are stubborn. I am stubborn, too. That is(one of) the only reasons Mia was given a second BMT~because I wouldn't take "Please take her home" as an answer. And 6 years later, she is still alive. Take that cancer.

    Lisa, no matter what happens, know that your fight and what you do at CHOP is more than most people could even dream of doing.

    Love, The Garito Family
    treated at CHOP 2005-2006

    ReplyDelete